Jay Weatherill is South Australia’s 45th Premier and has held that position since 2014.
Under his leadership South Australia has become a leading light in democratic reform in Australia and around the world. In particular, South Australia has been at the forefront in the use of deliberative mini-publics, or citizens’ juries as they are often called here in Australia.
In South Australia the Government has conducted a number of citizens’ juries to address a range of issues including
- how to ensure their capital, Adelaide, has a safe and vibrant nightlife
- how cars and bicycles can share the road safely
- how to manage unwanted litters of dogs and cats
- how to fund major infrastructure and most recently
- how the State should respond to a Royal Commission’s findings about the nuclear fuel cycle.